Sunday, March 8, 2009

Seeking in Dilligence

The context of the verse below is that Nephi has been praying to know if the things that his father has asked him to do (e.g. leave Jerusalem and go into the wilderness) are right. After he receives the confirmation, He tells Laman and Lemuel and they basically tell him that he doesn't know what he is talking about. Sam on the otherhand believes Nephi and gains a testimony as well. 

Here is what Nephi says:

"Blessed art thou Nephi, because of thy faith for thou hast sought me dilligently with lowliness of heart."  (1 Neph 2: 19)

Here is one of the reasons why I love reading the Book of Mormon in Chinese. I hear this verse quoted often, but it has become quite cliche. I read it in Chinese and it the translation means the same thing but it is written somewhat differently. Here is what it says literally in the Chinese:

"you have continuing happiness because you use a heart of humility to dilligently seek and solicit/request me."

Now that that is out of the way, here are the insights that I gained when I read this:
1. When we are humble we recognize that we have to have the Lord's help. We really can't do it on our own. 
2. With this type of attitude we "seek [Him]" just as Nephi did. I really like how "seek" is translated here because it involves requesting the Lord's help. 





No comments:

Post a Comment