Friday, March 6, 2009

Desire, Visitation and Belief

I read 1 Nephi 2:16 and was impressed with the process by which Nephi was able to increase his faith. Here's what it says: 

          "having great desires to know of the mysteries of God, wherefore, I did cry    unto the Lord; and behold he did visit me, and did soften my heart that I did believe all the words which had been spoken by my father;"

As I pondered this further, I found the following statement from Elder Maxwell: 

          "God’s plan, however, is not something to be deduced by logic alone, nor is  human experience deep enough or long enough to inform us adequately. It    requires revelation from God.

          How else would we really know the truth of who we really were, “really are,   and … really will be” (see Jacob 4:13D&C 93:24)? There can be no true felicity    without true identity." 

                             --Neal A. Maxwell, “‘God Will Yet Reveal’,” Ensign, Nov 1986

Nephi provides us such a simple pattern. If we desire to know, then the Lord will visit us through revelation. As Elder Maxwell has so eloquently put it, belief comes through revelation. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment