Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Promised Land

A couple days ago I wrote about how when we give something up for the Lord, we are given something even greater in return. I inferred that by giving up their land of inheritance, Lehi's family was prepared to inherit an even greater land. As I was reading last night, I found something to back up that inference. In 1 Nehphi 2:20 it reads:

"Inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments, ye shall prosper, and shall be led to a land of promise; yea, evena land which I have prepared for you, yea a land which is choice above all other lands."

Sometimes we have situations in life that are pretty good. These situations might include good jobs, health, a calling we enjoy, etc... When the Lord has a different plan in mind than the status quo, we need to keep in mind that as we are obedient to his will, we will find "a land which is choice above all other lands." The really interesting thing about this verse is that this is the first time a "land of promise" is mentioned in the Book of Mormon. As far as I can tell, Nephi did not know that the Lord was going to prepare a new land that was better than his home in Jerusalem. As far as he knew when Lehi asked them to pack up and leave, his family was simply being led into the wilderness. What a great example of faith in the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment