Monday, June 1, 2009

A Vision and a Tender Mercy

In 1 Nephi 1:20, Nephi says, "[I] will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosed, because of their faith." Today in my reading I found one of the tender mercies which the Lord bestowed upon Lehi. After great tribulation, the family finally made it to the promise land. Upon arriving there Lehi spoke to his sons concerning "how merciful the Lord had been in warning [them] that they should flee out of Jerusalem" (1 Nephi 1:3). In the next verse, he tells them why the Lord was merciful despite the great afflictions which they bore during that time. I'm sure that as his sons rebelled against him during the journey in the wilderness or when the ship was about to be swallowed up in the sea, that Lehi had some doubts about the decision to leave Jerusalem. When his familiy is in danger or is suffering, any father must wonder if his decision to be obedient to the Lord's commandment is the proper course in life. Thus, the Lord gave Lehi a tender mercy to help him as he would face the decision to continue the course or to turn back. To use Lehi's words, "I have seen a vision in which I know that Jerusalem is destroyed" (1 Nephi 1:4). The record does not say when that vision was received, but it must have been welcomed by Lehi and gave him the strength to continue when times were tough. I would suggest that each of us are entitled to similar tender mercies. They may not come through a vision. However, I would suggest that if we pray in faith, the Lord will reveal in a very personal way that our course of action is according to his will and for our benefit. That confirmation will come differently to each person, but I know that those who seek it will find it (Matthew 7:7).

1 comment:

  1. Thank You. I love reading these tidbits of your insights. keep it up.

    ReplyDelete