Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Simplicity

I have been reading 2 Nephi 2 for the last couple of weeks. I have read only a few verses each day, spending a lot of time just pondering what I read. It is one of the greatest discourses ever given on the plan of salvation. As I have been reading, I have been waiting for some grand mystery to pop out and enlighten me. I have been reading it and pondering it for over a week now and that still has not happened. In other words, I haven't really learned anything that I didn't already know. There have been a couple of new insights that have reminded me, but even those I could not put into words to communicate the ideas in any other way than simply quoting the verse. As a result I really haven't had anything to post for the last couple of weeks.

Well, I just finished the chapter and was still trying to find some grand mystery, but nothing was coming. At that point I realized that is exactly what I needed to learn. The plan of salvation is so simple and it logically makes so much sense. We all left the presence of God, sin so we can't re-enter his presence on our own, and finally we must rely on the Savior to overcome the effects of sin. That's all! The plan is so simple and so beautiful. Like I mentioned earlier, I have not learned anything new, but I have felt the Spirit. My testimony of the Savior has been strengthened. I can say with greater confidence now that I know Jesus Christ is our Savior. I know that as we follow Him, we can return to live with our Father. It is our choice whether we want to obtain that blessing or not. I know that the Book of Mormon was truly a record that Joseph Smith translated. He could not have made it up on his own. This chapter that I just read is proof of that. The doctrine is so simple, yet so profound and full of wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment