Thursday, May 28, 2009

Upon the palms of my hands

When I was about 9 years old, while my family was camping in the Nebo Loop I was riding my bike down a hill and could not stop in time to prevent myself from running into a pickup truck that was passing through the intersection at about 30 mph. My father rushed me down the canyon to the Payson hospital. I did not have any serious injuries other than scrapes, bruises and some soreness. Emotionally I was shaken up for a few days, but I soon fully recovered from those minor injuries. However, almost 20 years later I still have a small scar on my right knee. Whenever I see that scar I think back to that day nearly 20 years ago. 

In 1 Nephi 21:15-16, Nephi quotes Isaiah's Messianic prophecy. "I will not forget thee, O house of Israel. Behold, I have engraven thee upon the palms of my hands," he says. Just as each time I look at my scar I think of my bike accident, each time the Savior looks on the scarred wounds of his hands he thinks of the great sacrifice that he made for us. I'm sure that as he does so he is reminded of each of our burdens and pains that he suffered in Gethsemane. He will never forget us in our adversity. He will be there for us if we turn our hearts to Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment