Wednesday, May 20, 2009

SUMMIT EVERY DAY

I would like to thank Lennie for inviting me to be part of such a wonderful project. I am thrilled and grateful for the opportunity to log my experiences as I read the Book of Mormon. Several weeks ago I was searching for a way to increase the Spirit in my home, in my family, and for me personally. For me, in my quest to draw nearer to the Savior, to have his spirit with me always, stronger and more abundantly I have noticed something. The journey is full of ascents, and plateaus, and hopefully not to many descents. As we are inspired and prompted by the spirit, and that fire burns within us to drawer nearer, to increase our knowledge, to come to know him, we recognize that we have plateaued, that we can't drawer nearer to the Savior without an ascent. We can no longer continue to do what we are doing and expect to draw nearer to the Savior. We have to give more, search harder, ponder more often, and really pray if we are to Summit. It is my testimony that if one wants to come to know the Savior, there is no better way to summit, then by studying the scriptures. The Scriptures testify of Jesus Christ. I have felt the spirit confirm this to me over and over again as I have read and studied the writings of Profits. I have a fire within me that drives me to study everyday. I look forward to my lunch break when I can get away and dive into the Book of Mormon. Everyday is a new adventure, I cant wait to see what is unfolded next. I am doing something different, I am no longer just reading, I am studying, seeking answers and inspiration. I testify to you, in his name Jesus Christ, that if you will really study, not just read, but study, you will come to know him. You will have is spirit with you, and you will be on fire! The writings will be as new to you, and you will find the things you have always searched for, your knowledge will be increased, you will come to know him and .............EVERYDAY WILL BE A SUMMIT. Not an ascent, Not a Plateau, and never a descent. You will really come to know the scriptures, AND YOU WILL COME TO KNOW HIM.............

Recently I have been studying 2 Nephi. Jacob is teaching and reading from Isaiah. In chapter 6, Jacob speaks to the people of Nephi and tells them; "for I am desirous for the wellfare of your souls. Yea mine anxiety is great for you;" Jacob must have really loved the people of Nephi. He didnt just care about them. He had a great anxiety for them, he was concened about their wellfare. Do we agonize over the people we serve? Do we really love them, are we concerned about their wellfare. Do you have an intrest in their life. If we want to be an effective leader we have to love the people we serve more than anything.

2 Nephi chapter 9 verse 3 is a scripture that I pray I will always remember as I read the Scriptures. Again Jacob is teaching from Isaiah, and has spoken many hard and plain things to the people of Nephi. And then he so beautifully teaches us, how to look at the harsh and plain words that have been spoken. "Behold my beloved brethern, I speak unto you these things that ye may rejoice and lift up your heads forever". The question is asked; what is it that drives you, fear or faith? The point I am getting at (and maybe its a strech) is that sometimes we get answers we dont want to hear. Sometimes we are taught principles that are very hard to accept. The scriptures sometimes speak very plainly and are direct and to the point. We may be called to repentence or given a law that is very difficult to accept. What we are taught is that the purpose behind it is not to bring us down, not to make us feal guilty, or unworthy. It is the exact opposite. The purpose is to bring us joy, to lift us up, to testify of the goodness of the Savior and draw us nearer to him. It is not ment to be fear that drives us, but love, joy, and peace. It is faith that will help you get past the fear, and lift up your head..forever.
There are many wonderful things I have learned in 2 Nephi, I hope these will somehow be of meaning to you. My dear friends, I know that the scriptures speak to each one of us in our own way. May your life be touched as you read the scriptures. I pray they will come alive as you read them, and that you will summit every day. The Book of Mormon is the Word of God, I know its true, and it testifys of our Savior Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment